Preparation time: 30 min
The last few weeks have been pretty craycray – workwise. I did not see my friends, I did not do my mandatory workout, I barely found the time to talk to my parents on the phone, I did not do my laundry for weeks and had to buy new underwear, I let WAC slide and I did not even watch Grey’s Anatomy, Modern Family & Scandal! But most importantly: I did not have the time to cook or eat a proper meal!
So on Monday morning, when the elections were finally over, we went to one of Vienna’s local markets and bought all kinds of fresh vegetables plus these two beautiful slices of sirloin. I thought this would make up for weeks of sandwiches, pizza slices & granola bars – and it absolutely did the trick.
I basically love every kind of steak but whenever I prepare it myseld I leave out all the spices to keep it absolutely natural. Therefore I just fry it in olive oil and then serve it with high-quality olive oil, maldon salt flakes & green salad on the side.
This time I also added french beans & bacon – and I will definitely do so again – very, very soon!
- 2 steaks (I used sirloin this time – 200/250 g each)
- one handful of french beans
- 4 slices of bacon
- high quality olive oil
- salt flakes (optional)
Ingredients for the salad:
- green salad
- one handful of fresh parsley
- half a lemon
- spring onion
- olive oil
- white wine vinegar
- salt & pepper
- Bring water to boil in a small pot and season with a dash of salt.
- Heat olive oil in a big pan.
- Cook the french beans to the bite (3-4 minutes) and bundle them up using the bacon slices.
- Sear the steak over high heat for three minutes. Flip the steak over using tongs and sear the other side for three minutes.
- The steak should now be cooked to rare. If you want the steak more fully cooked, reduce the heat to medium and cook each side another minute or two to reach medium rare level of doneness, and cook another three or four minutes to reach a medium level of doneness. For medium-well doneness, cook each side an additional five minutes or so.
- Add the french bean & bacon bundles for the last few minutes and fry them on each side.
- Meanwhile prepare the green salad and season with olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, salt & pepper.
- Serve immediately with high quality olive oil, saltflakes & salad on the side.