Preparation time: 15 min
Undoubtedly summer is by far the best season of the year – especially when it comes to cooking & eating. You have the greatest choice of food. Whenever I visit my parents in Salzburg, my mother takes me to this huge, huge shop which offers all kinds of catering supplies and – most importantly – fresh high quality seafood from Italy and Croatia. We love to stroll through shelves and vitrines for hours and every shopping trip will eventually get out of hand and degenerates to a messy shopping spree. Last week when we pillaged the seafood section for one of our BBQs I spotted this beautiful purple pre-cooked octopus and insisted on adding it to our huge shopping cart. A few days later I made up the recipe for my octopus & arugula salad, for which you will need:
- 1 kg pre-cooked octopus
- 200 g cooked or canned chickpeas
- one onion
- one lemon
- two handful arugula
- one handful fresh herbs (basil, mint, cilantro, parsley,…)
- white wine vinegar
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Rinse the octopus under cold water and cut it into bite-sized pieces.
- Thinly slice the onion and combine it with the rocket, chickpeas & herbs on a serving plate.
- Fry the octopus in a big, heavy pan using a little bit of olive oil. Make sure not to fry it for too long – maybe 3 minutes on each side.
- Add the octopus to your salad and season the whole dish with salt & pepper.
- Right before serving marinate with lemon juice, white vinegar & olive oil.