Preparation time: 10 min
I don’t know about you people, but the last few days I’ve been sitting in an unimaginably hot apartment in Vienna trying to escape the heat by showering every 30 minutes and sitting in front of a ventilator which has been running for 24 hours straight (I am really looking forward to my upcoming electricity bill). I fortunately will be visiting my parents in a few days that will finally allow me to cool off in beautiful, refreshing lakes, to lie under big trees, reading books and to dump finally my work & laptop for a little while.
In the meantime I am forced to continue my fight against the city heat, which is why my fridge is now producing more ice cubes than ever so that I can have countless iced coffees, iced infused water and iced watermelon & grapefruit slushes, for which you will need:
- 1 liter of sparkling water
- 2 grapefruits
- a nice piece of watermelon
- 2 lemons
- a handful of fresh mint
- loads of ice cubes
The preparation of slush is very basic and will allow you to play around with the composition of different fruits and fresh herbs. I for instance really like strawberry & basil, orange & rosemary, raspberry & rose, peach & thyme, cucumber & basil or tangerine & ginger. Always add fresh lemon juice, sparkling water and ice cubes – if necessary sweeten with sugar or honey.
- Squeeze the grapefruit and keep the leftover flesh.
- Cut the watermelon into small pieces.
- Combine the watermelon, the sparkling water, the grapefruit juice and flesh in a big mixing bowl and blend it until smooth. You can also use a blender at this step.
- Squeeze the lemons and add the juice to the mixing bowl.
- Roughly chop the mint.
- Combine all ingredients and serve with loads of ice cubes.