Preparation time: 20 minutes
This is my first try to create new kinds of breakfast that differ from the way we Middle-Europeans usually start our days. As I would always choose savoury over sweet when it comes to the first meal of my day, I thought I’d just adapt something I would usually have for dinner or lunch to a breakfast meal.
After a few hours of consideration, I went for a quinoa breakfast bowl with two of my most favourite breakfast ingredients: eggs & avocado.
It goes very well with my daily coffee – especially if I go easy on the pepper & salt – and you can play around with the ingredients: you could replace the pumpkin with spinach or use fresh tomatoes instead of avocado. Also, the preparation is very easy and does not take too long.
All in all, you should probably actually give this a try.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 avocado
- 2 eggs
- 200 g butternut squash/Hokkaido
- one handful fresh basil
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 1 tsp za’atar (optional)
- Cut the butternut squash/Hokkaido into small cubes.
- Heat a little bit of olive oil in a pan and fry the pumpkin for about 3 minutes while constantly stirring.
- Add the quinoa and 2 cups of water at once. When cooking quinoa, you always use a certrain amount of quinoa plus the double amount of water.
- Cook on medium heat until the water is fully soaked up.
- Season with salt, pepper & za’atar.
- Cook the eggs in a pan – sunny side up.
- Serve warm in a bowl, add sliced avocado & eggs and sprinkle with fresh basil, salt & pepper.